Since 2014, I took a full-time break from my career. This was due to health issues, a car accident, and becoming a caretaker for an elderly grandparent. All of that had me return to my hometown of New Orleans. During my down time I ventured into entrepreneurship and learning about other fields related to Software/Product Development and UX. These points can be found in the bullet point section below. I’m now enthusiastic and eager to return to my career full-time.
I have over 8 years’ experience working in web application design and development. This was on a proprietary Portal system (Huron-Click) built on a .NET framework. I worked full-stack, but mostly server side scripting (jscript) and UI design/development. I also performed Systems Application Analysis where needed and Consulted/Trained clients on the Portal system.
Since receiving my Master’s degree in HCI/UX in 2013 and leaving my position with HFI as a UX Specialist I have:
- researched starting my own businesses (retail/eCommerce, affiliate marketing, and digital publishing) which are all in development
- studied digital marketing (working on my Google Analytics certification and SEO training)
- working on getting my Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)
- learning about WordPress plug-ins and development
- worked for a short time learning about product design and development for hand-made shoes (John Fluevog) along with their in-store/online sales strategies
- updating my hobby skills in photography, digital retouching, and jewelry design
- of course, continued to practice UX through hands-on projects and also reading to keep up to date
My curiosity has always drove me to learn as much as I can about all that interests me. Why I call myself a Generalist. My passion is in User Advocacy and always striving to be an expert in what can make a positive user experience.
I’m happiest when solving complex problems and finding the most elegant solution(s) possible. I always design for the people using a product/site and I’m a strong advocate of this. My design decisions are based on User Research | HF Research, and I always try to validate assumptions (hypothesis) before implementing. I also understand for a product/site to be successful critical success factors for the business need to be met.